- Single leg work to improve single leg hip stability and balance. Single leg squats and lunges are great.
- For runners, strengthening the hips is key to stabilizing your legs every time they hit the ground after a stride – this will help you eliminate and avoid knee pain associated with running.
- Don't forget your upper body though. Many exercises such as rows and presses will help with running posture and help support and stabilize your core!
- Core exercises should focus on creating stability – no crunches or situps.
- Machines at the gym are unnecessary – functional movements with a Swiss Ball, free weights or a TRX will be much more effective.
- PLEASE stop strength training on Bosu balls! They are meant for certain populations that struggle with stability and also in rehab programs. There is no need to be doing presses and curls on Bosu balls. They will not build any sort of strength. Think about it. While on a Bosu ball you are using a much lighter weight, which does nothing to promote strength & lean muscle growth. Just quit with them all together. If you think you should be training on a BOSU, email me and I will give you my personal opinion.
Don't forget to call (717)658-4299 or visit www.mjofitness.com to get signed up for my weekly sessions!
Action is the simplest way to avoid procrastination. Get up and throw yourself into the battle. You must know your #1 priority and attack it with great energy.