Monday, September 2, 2013

September Motivation...New School Year...New You..

Have you ever had a dream where you were completely surrounded by the most horrifying future for yourself?

I mean...maybe dreaming you got in an accident, lost the game for your team, failed out of school, went into debt....

that list can go on and on....

But really....Have You?

And my next question is...Has it come true....IN REAL LIFE?? That's what I call...the double whammy.

Did it get the best of you?

You read my mind...Triple.

Well, I don't know where many of you who read my blog stand in terms of your current life and where your goals are tending to push you but I know its typically in a positive direction if you have any sort of will and desire in this day in age.

And coming off the last week of summer, first day of school, and first day of many athletic team's opening schedule....I decided to write a little about motivation.


Motivation is a psychological feature that arouses an organism to act towards a desired goal and elicits, controls, and sustains certain goal-directed behaviors. It can be considered a driving force; a psychological one that compels or reinforces an action toward a desired goal.

"desired goal" is the key part here.



What's your desired goal? Are you living up to it? Are you waking up every morning pushing towards accomplishing that goal? Are you blocking out those who don't support that goal?

There tends to be a lot of questions filled with goal setting right? If you want to achieve something....you must think...plan...prepare...sacrifice...

But WHAT IF....you hit the unexpected.....you experience something that completely DERAILS you and makes it near impossible for you to regain strength and concentration?

For me...it was a nasty bike accident that ruined my chances of qualifying for my dream ironman.

And I know what your thinking....right...well come on Mike...we all know...you hurt your knees...get back up and get after it again.

Not quite. Yes, a torn ACL, MCL, Patella Tendon(My Triple Whammy) is not impossible to come back from....and I thought I fought hard. Not too many people would crutch into the gym a week after getting hit by a truck to sit on a bench and lift weights for 45 minutes, get home, get sick and have to lay down for 2 days because of it. Then repeat that cycle for 2 months.

We have all been there....facing adversity....it just makes you stronger right? When people think you CAN'T and think THERE IS NO WAY....the strong willed will prove them wrong and do THE IMPOSSIBLE.

Maybe your a teacher and that first week put you in a near heart attack stage....or maybe the thought of the summer ending put you into a little funk....

Better yet...maybe your the athlete 3 days away from opening night and you are hiding a major leg injury to save your spot on the field....

Whatever your situation is....YOUR BETTER THAN IT!

Remember that! If there is one thing I learned through the mess I have went through...It is that you can overcome anything. EVERYONE will have a bad day. Your not alone. Everyone will fail at something EACH day!

You cant think..."Damn, maybe this is it."

Because the minute you do...is the minute you let your head take control of your life, and in a negative way.

There is always a WAY around each situation!

Take a deep breathe...realize that you can get past this road block! No matter what the size!



I had an even bigger road block placed in front of me in my course of recovery too. Found out 8 months after my accident that I fully tore my labrum! Needed another surgery! JUST AS I WAS STARTING TO GET MY POSITIVE ATTITUDE BACK AND MENTAL TOUGHNESS I LOST FROM THE FIRST GRUELING PROCESS! 

So it was months of going doctor to doctor for me and that led my knees to worsen and develop a chronic issue.

Currently, I am taking 2 different types of pain medications. I am now foreseeing a stem cell replacement injection and exploratory surgery mid September. I sit every night with ice and heat and wonder why the **** it is still bothering me.

I wake up every morning....and I will be VERY honest with my readers...it is getting harder each week. I used to pop up at 5 and take on the day like there is no tomorrow....but now I get up...walk to the bathroom...take a deep breathe....look at myself in the mirror...and tell myself that it will soon be over and to give it one more day.

With that little bit of fight I get EVERYTHING accomplished I want to in a day's time. I am looking forward to my future in this town...not because of my athletic abilities anymore...

but by what I can do for others....

How can I change the world today.......

My new motto for stating the day. I take it as a challenge. Whether that means me improving myself or my clients....I am going to do whatever I can to change the world piece by piece.

I am truly blessed with what I was given in this life and I'll be dammed if these injuries will define who I am. Its about what I do for others and bettering myself day in and day out to be the best trainer and strength coach there is! 

So if you seem to be stuck in a rut in your work or fitness...just take a step back...and think about this....

Others would DIE to have your situation.  YES...it's true. So take your mind and get control. Find a way around it! Make it your mission to change the world...little by little.

Then think to yourself....



Could you tell me....how could it be....any better than this.

Because it's all about what you make of it! So carry on, push on, believe in yourself.

Because I believe in you!








Until Next Time,

Keep Fighting For Me! As I do For You!

Mike Over
CPT, PES
Strength & Conditioning Specilist
mjover09@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment